экзамен/зачёт

jos.dan

Spanish (Guatemala)
Всем привет!

I know both экзамен and зачёт can be translated with "test" or "exam", but they are not synonyms, are they? Somebody explained the difference to me in the past, but I forgot what it was about

Thank you in advance :)

• GCRaistlin

Russian
    На зачёте не ставят оценок - только "зачёт" или "незачёт". Зачёты обычно сдаются по второстепенной важности предметам.

Last edited:

anahiseri

Spanish (Spain) and German (Germany)
    My Russian teacher explained it to us TODAY. (yes, really! we were studying the Russian school system).
    экзамен is a final exam the one you take at the end of the year or the course
    and зачёт is a test during the school year, maybe at the end of a term but not necessarily; it can be a kind of class exercise.

GCRaistlin

Russian
    we were studying the Russian school system
    Не знаю, что вы там учили, но зачёт - это вообще-то понятие вузовское, не школьное. Хотя что в течение курса могут быть зачёты, а в конце - экзамен - верно. Но, повторю, бывает и так, что зачётом оканчивается весь курс.

Vovan

Russian
    I know both экзамен and зачёт can be translated with "test" or "exam", but they are not synonyms, are they? Somebody explained the difference to me in the past, but I forgot what it was about
    "Зачёт2" is one of the two possible final marks that you receive at the end of some courses in higher education institutions in Russia. The other mark is "незачёт" (they are similar in meaning to "Pass" and "Non-Pass").

These courses may end with an exam (or a quasi-exam) procedure. If there is one, it is also called "зачёт1". The decision to administer an (quasi-)exam procedure is made by the lecturer/instructor. (If there isn't one, you get a "pass" for doing some tasks during the course.)
    Ты был на зачёте?
    Получил зачёт автоматом. (=автоматически; т.е. не приходя на экзамен, но за какие-то работы во время семестра)​
    Ты получил зачёт? (=Тебе поставили зачёт?)
    О чём спрашивали на зачёте?
    и т.д.
    Also, I can't quite agree with GCRaistlin that courses that end with a "зачёт1" are of "secondary" importance in a curriculum. The truth is that there can be no more than <a number> exams during one semester, according to the rules and regulation of higher education in Russia. So, many very important subjects just have to end with a "зачёт1".

Awwal12

Russian
    In short, зачёт is a simplified form of knowledge evaluation in the end of the university semester. Whatever it actually represents (it is often "automatic" for the students whose marks were high enough), it always occurs during the last days of the semester and NOT during the exams session (which is a serious business, with several days reserved solely for preparations to each of the "real" exams). Typically more important subjects are tested by "экзамен" during the exams session, while the less important ones imply just "зачёт".

jos.dan

Spanish (Guatemala)
    My Russian teacher explained it to us TODAY
    and зачёт is a test during the school year, maybe at the end of a term but not necessarily; it can be a kind of class exercise.
    What a coincidence! If that's true, I think "экзамен" is what you would call "examen final" in my country (and maybe other Spanish-speaking countries as well), and "зачёт" would be "examen parcial" or "examen corto"

But, after reading the answers from natives, I've come to realize it's not the same thing. At my university, we have "partial" and "final" exams for every subject, whether they are perceived as more important or not. I think the "экзамен/зачёт" difference is something reserved to Russia and... maybe other close countries?

As always, thanks a lot for all the answers :)

jos.dan

Spanish (Guatemala)
    And just one more question...
    When would people use "тест"? Is this a synonym for both "экзамен" and "зачёт"?

Okkervil

Russian - Russia (NW)
    Чтобы получить представление о разнице между экзаменом и зачётом в российской системе образования, можно прочесть тематическую статью в Википедии, обратив внимание на такое понятие, как зачётная сессия (которая есть не что иное, как система допуска к экзаменационной сессии).
    Всё это можно было бы считать своего рода тестом на знание русского языка.

Last edited:

Awwal12

Russian
    Тест:
    - проверка (colloquial);
    - анализ на что-л. (colloquial);
    - a form of written testing which consists of choosing from a number of selected variants.

Vovan

Russian
    No, but "зачёты" and some "экзамены" can be administered in the form of a "тест". Usually, what's meant is an ordinary written test: "Question1, option1, option2, etc.; question2, option1, etc.". That is, a lot of questions and a limited amount of time.
    ЕГЭ по географии проводится в форме теста.
    Мы писали тест.
    На зачёте нам предложили (письменный) тест.
    Что (=какую оценку) ты получил за тест?
    и т.д.
    I think the "экзамен/зачёт" difference is something reserved to Russia.
    Some other former USSR republics still hold both "экзамены" and "зачёты" as exams in higher education institutions. For instance, Ukraine does:
    Зачет (дифференцированный зачет) - это вид семестрового контроля, при котором усвоение студентом теоретического и практического материала по кредитному модулю (КМ) оценивается, как правило, на основании РСО (результатов обучения) по результатам текущего контроля (тестирования, текущего опроса, выполнения индивидуальных заданий и определенных видов работ на практических, семинарских или лабораторных занятиях / компьютерных практикумах) в течение семестра. Зачет (дифференцированный зачет) планируется при отсутствии экзамена по КМ.
    (Google Translate from Положення про проведення семестрового контролю та атестації студентів | КПІ ім. Ігоря Сікорського/)
    "Зачёт" is just a 1. "pass/non-pass exam", the exact form of which is less strict than that of a normal exam and is up to the instructor; or 2. a "pass/non-pass grade" which you get for such an exam, or which the instructor of a course gives you just on the basis of your activity during the semester. As others have added, one must get all (or almost all) the necessary "зачёты" (for a number of subjects in the curriculum) to go ahead and sit the "экзамены" (for the rest of the subjects) at the end of a semester. Probably, the word should only be used in relation to the Soviet and, partly, post-Soviet systems of education.
    Also see: Academic grading in Russia - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Ruukr

Odessa, Russian - Ukrainian
    My Russian teacher explained it to us TODAY. (yes, really! we were studying the Russian school system).
    Thanks for all the answers :) Everything is clear now
    Looks like nothing clear yet. :)
    Экзамен (Exam) - in the end of year with some estimation in gradebook. (for professional subjects).
    (from beginning to the end of the year you can have colloquiums (contemporary -modules), for splitting the whole course to the end of the year - for reducing the exam material volume to the end of the year - if it was not endure with good estimation score - it is postponed to the exam time).
    Зачёт - this is not -test, but rather -grade (that's why gradebook, actually) - also you have it in the end of the year, but without any estimation score, but just "passed" or "not passed" (if not than you have two attempts more). :) (it is maked usually for non-professional subjects ).

ps: and the "test" - this you can pass even now in any correspondent internet resources. :)
    pps: and about test - this is just -тест (it is mear for checking - you are following or not the materials).

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >